Four-Season Permaculture: If You Can Dream It, You Can Create It
April 15 to October 22, 2023
Are you seeking the tools and confidence to do something about what’s happening in the world? If so, we are here to support you. Imagine a life where you are entirely lit up by your desire to be in service to creating a more beautiful world. You feel confident in how you will contribute and secure your skills and knowledge to create and share your dreams with others.
Why We Do What We Do
We believe that if everyone knew even a little about how Permaculture works, the degree of global change would be incredible.
If you can’t already tell, we are passionate about Permaculture. Nature Works! and has proven that for millennia. Drawing on the principles of nature, Permaculture takes us through a step-by-step process to create the future Now!
A 7-Month Dive
Awaken your connection with the Earth and learn the practical skills required for humans to stay here on planet Earth. This is a 7-month dive into how to change your life and the world. All you need is guidance from those who have walked this path before.
You will be immersed in a hands-on, diverse curriculum constructed to expand the attendee’s practical Permaculture skill sets.
From composting to green building, Elemental breath work & movement, our curriculum will teach you about the Earth, ecosystems, community and yourself.
We Want to Improve Your Life Radically
Join Shantree & Lorenna Kacera and their Permaculture team for this hands-on experience on a 43-year-old, 50-acre Permaculture oasis near London, Ontario, teaming with a diversity of Forest Gardens, Strawbale & Cordwood/ Cob Natural Buildings, Earthship Greenhouse, Solar, a one kilometre Native Plant Trail, Medicine Herb Garden, Bee Research Facility, Food forests, ponds and wetlands. Fruit and nut trees, berries, wild edibles and more….
The first step is equipping yourself with knowledge and direct experience while surrounding yourself with a community of like-minded individuals.
Come to the edge, jump, and create your dream world.
The Four Seasons Format
Learn Permaculture through the four seasons, with a focus on temperate climates. This course is an internationally recognized, 72-hour training in the ethics, principles, methods and practices of Permaculture Design, plus 24 extra hands-on hours and 24 hours of group/independent work giving you 120 hours of quality education.
The four-seasons format allows you to integrate and implement what you have learned and bring your experiences and questions back to the training for feedback and discussion.
- Uses nature as our guide
- Is a design process
- Thinks wholistically
- Is solution based
- It is centred on cooperation and connection
“The ultimate goal of Permaculture is not only of food, medicine and new energy sources, but also the cultivation and excellence of fresh new ways of seeing, of thinking, of acting and being in the world.” ~Dave Jacke
This general outline of each module may change according to the weather.
This course is a ‘principles-in-practice approach to offer students a fantastic opportunity to advance their hands-on expertise and design development. Each weekend will include Edible Forest Gardening design and application, with a balance of classroom time, hands-on experimental learning and nature connection.
Winter – April 15, 16, 17
Spring – June 3, 4, 5
Summer – July 29, 30, 31
Fall – Sept 23, 24, 25
Design Project Presentations – Oct 21 & 22
- Foundations of Permaculture
- The History of Permaculture
- Permaculture Principles & Design Science
- Principles & Ethics of Permaculture
- Mapping & Design exercises
- Pattern Thinking in Design & Strategy
- Landscape analysis
- Introduction to Edible Food Forests
- Why plant-based Permaculture
- Nature as a guide & teacher
- Deep Ecology & Living Systems theory
- Bioregionalism & Re-localization
- Earth Connection processes
- Building Community & Teamwork
- Forest Gardening principles
- Food Forests, Polycultures & Ecosystems
- Pattern Recognition & Site Analysis
- Reading the Landscape & Climatic Factors
- Designing Edible Forest Gardens
- Understanding the Soil Food Web
- Growing Organic Soil Fertility
- Enhancing Nutrient Flow
- Bioremediation: healing soil and water with beneficial bacteria, compost teas, fungi, & plants
- Creating Microclimates of Peace
- Alternative Energy Systems – from small to large
- Appropriate Technologies that support these changing times
- Cold Climate Energy Conservation
- Earth Connection processes
- Natural Building – Earthship, Cob, Cordwood, Strawbale
- Solar Hot Water Collector Installation
- Building Design using Local, Natural and Recycled Materials
- Edible Landscape Management
- Thinking Like a Watershed
- Swales & Contours
- Water Ecology & Preservation
- Roof Water Harvesting
- Earth Connection Processes
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Inner Permaculture
- Deep Ecology & Eco-philosophy
- The Transition Culture
- Eco-villages, Community & Thinking Globally
- Wild Edible Foraging Practices
- Nutrition: Food Choices & Sustainability
- Food Harvesting & Storage
- Earth Connection processes
- Day One – Putting it Together – Team Design Project Presentation
- Day Two – Questions, Feedback & Where to from here?
- Evolutionary Leadership
- Receiving Certificates
“This course has been one of the most enriching and rewarding experiences of my life. We dove deeply into many useful and very tangible topics as well as the more intangible aspects of inner permaculture. The interweaving of both creates a harmonious resonance that enriches the entire program.” ~ Brett
A life changing experience! The PDC helped me to develop skills, but also a better understanding of the world and a vision of how I can become an element of positive change on this beautiful planet.” ~Nancy
Students work in small groups between sessions throughout the course to incorporate their learning into real-world permaculture design projects. The course culminates in the presentation of each group’s design project. Upon completion, participants become certified as Permaculture Designers and receive a Permaculture Design Certificate recognized worldwide.
NEW – We are pleased to offer three options for our PDC training. Please see – ‘Course Options’ below.