Ethical Foraging Herb Walks: The Art of Wildcrafting
“The woods and fields are a table always spread.” ~Henry David Thoreau
Foraging is the act of finding and gathering wild and native plants. Humans have been foragers and gatherers of plants for most of our existence on this planet. By engaging in this age-old practice, we can provide healthy and free food, culinary delights, and numerous natural-world gifts. We can become more self-reliant and connect more deeply to our landscape.
Over the six months – three seasons, you will go from learning foraging basics to incorporating wild plants into your everyday life and gaining the knowledge to share what you know with others confidently.
Topics covered may include:
- ReCreate, Reconnect, ReCollect
- Foraging Basics and Precautions
- Ethics of Foraging and other considerations
- Plant Observation
- Basic Botany & Ecology
- Plant Identification: Wildflower Meadow, Forest Edge, and Woodland Species
- Foraging for Greens & Edible Wildflowers
- Native and Local Culinary Spices & Uses
- Harvesting, Preparation, and Wild Ferments
- Primitive Skills Integrating Wild Plants into Daily Life
- During the course, students may take advantage of the following:
- Homework and additional reading assignments to further advance your study outside of class.
- A well-rounded understanding of foraging basics and ethics
- Gain a working knowledge of local wild plants
- Exposure to a network of foraging enthusiasts
- Confidence in sharing the knowledge of native plants
- A deeper connection to the land which sustains us
2023 Dates & Times:
The walks will take place from April to September and run approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours one to two evenings each month, from 6:30 pm till dark. September sessions start at 6 pm. We begin indoors and move outdoors through the trails and our forest gardens.
Friday Evening Herb Walks
April 21 (6:30 pm)
May 5, 12 (7 pm)
June 9, 16 (7 pm)
July 7, 14 (7 pm)
August 18, 25 (6:30 pm)
Sept 1, 8, 29 (6 pm)
Pre-Registration is required by Wednesday before the walk
$30 per Herb Walk
$125 series of 5 Herb Walks
$200 series of 10 Herb Walks
$20 per person for a group of 5 adults or more.
Children under 12 are free.
Register early, class size is limited. RSVP is required by Wednesday morning before the walk to let us know which walk(s) you will be attending.