This training intensive is designed to immerse the beginning or intermediate student in the world of herbalism. The special strengths of this training lay in its thoroughness and breadth of scope. It covers many aspect of working with herbs themselves (plant identification, wild-crafting and cultivation, drying and storing, medicine~making), while providing a foundation of knowledge for using them as medicines (human physiology, materia-medica, therapeutics & first aid).
In addition to covering this core material, the course expands to cover many diverse ways of working with plants (plant illustration, cosmetics, crafts) as well as discussing other approaches to healing that can complement herbalism (Nutrition, Ayurveda and Lifestyle practices). Our main objective is to provide a well-rounded understanding of herbalism designed to bring herbs back into the home and your community where they have traditionally been applied.
Although much of our focus is classroom based, you will see that the art of herbalism is also learned directly from plants themselves, imparted to us through the heart and senses, not just through words and ideas. To help students experience this, during the course of this week there will be daily field trips to various ecosystems on the property from wetlands, woodlands and open dry meadows. Immerse yourself during this time working and playing directly with the plant world in wild and cultivated places.
• Have you been learning about herbs primarily from books?
• Are you studying the medicinal actions attributes and chemical properties but know little about how they taste?
• Do you desire to know how to recognize them and know them by name?
• Do you yearn to spend time immersed in their world and work with them directly?
• Plant Identification & Herb Walks
• Wildcrafting Roots & Harvesting Practices
• Plant Nutrition
• Kitchen Pharmacy
• Botany & field plant ID
• Creating a Herbal First~Aid
• Natural cosmetics and skin care
• Herbal Action & Plant Constituents
• Clinical Herbal Practice
• Herbs & Ecology
• Materia Medica
• Anatomy, physiology & body systems
• Herbal Actions /Formulations
• Western Herbs for Tonification & Acute Conditions
• Principles to Medicine~Making
• Green politics, history and mythology
• Sensible Measures to Herb Safety
• Plant Chemistry
• Herbal Research
• Case Studies
This intensive covers the relevant areas of knowledge including:
• Specific remedies for different conditions;
• Herbal therapeutics;
• The use of food and herbs in health and healing;
• The foundations of Herbal theory; and,
• Providing the essential principles of herbs, including diet and energy
• Teaching the principles of disease and diagnosis within the frameworks of Western, and Ayurvedic systems.
• Teaching herbal preparation, therapeutics and formulary.
If you wish to become an Herbalist, your first step is to begin educating yourself.
Herbal medicine is not only a profession, but it is a personal and spiritual path. If you feel that you are one of those who feel an inner calling. A wise person once said that whatever energy is expended towards education is never lost.
Each day you will join Lorenna for
Shamanu: The Yoga of Conscious Living classes
These will include a diversity of movement, breath and meditation processes to support the health of your body/mind to make your learning time here healthier and more fulfilling. As well, the classes give you a direct opportunity to learn from the elements of earth, water, fire, air and ether, the forces that give life to body, food and the world around. Strengthening your connection and knowledge of your outer ecology will strengthen your inner ecology and the tools you use for healing.
• The New Holistic Herbal, David Hoffmann, MNIMH
• The Yoga of Herbs, An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine, ~Dr. David Frawley & Dr. Vasant Lad, Lotus Press
• The Herbal Medicine~Makers Handbook, James Green
• Out of the Earth: The Essential Book of Herbal Medicine, Simon Y. Mills, MNIMH
Saturday 9am to Friday 3pm.
$1075 – 60-day early bird
$1175 – 30 day early bird
$1275 – Standard enrollment
$975 when taken as part of the Ayurvedic Living Nutrition or Herbalism Certification Courses
For more information about these program see: Ayurvedic Living Nutrition Educator & Practitioner Courses or Herbalism Educator & Practitioner Courses
See our Payment Information & Options for more information
• Training, Course Material
• Organic Vegan Living Cuisine Lunches
Accommodations are separate. Please inquire.
*A Certificate of Completion will be awarded upon full attendance of this Training Intensive and completion of a home study assignment. To receive this certificate there is a $200 fee.
* Please make your request when registering.
FOR INFO ABOUT CERTIFICATION COURSES SEE BELOW LINKS:
***Practical, Therapeutic & Shamanic Herbalism Courses
***Ayurvedic Living Nutrition Course